7.10.2010

35 Weeks and a lot's going on


Oh wow. It's been a while since I've written anything. 4 weeks left! So close and yet so far. Since my last post I've been to the doc's a few more times, nothing huge to report really. We've started a childbirth class, I'll get to that in a bit. We also have had a baby shower, set up the crib, and started cleaning out the baby room more and more. And we've had a prediction about when she'll be here.
So the last few doctor appointments have been uneventful. I mean that in a really good way. It's the same thing as ever... go in, get blood pressure checked, get weighed, get measured, listen to the heart, then Q&A if I have any. This last doctor apointment I was really curious about a few things. So I came with my list of questions. The one that I really wanted to know is how big he thinks she will be. He said he can usually guess withing 20% and that he thinks she will be around 6 1/2 - 7 pounds when she's born. That's if she stays on the growth curve she's on right now. He said she is on the smaller side of average, but is still in the healthy range. I'm thinking 6 1/2 pounds sounds good for me! I mean it's definitely no adorable chunky fat baby, but she'll fatten up. So my next appointment is next week, then it starts every week. So strange! That means it's getting really, really close. I also had a warning that they need to run the group B strep test. I won't even go into details for that one. It doesn't sound pleasant.
This childbirth class is really nice actually. I didn't know what to expect, but it's been informative. It was kind of a last minute thing for us because we knew we wanted to do a lamaze class, but that one was canceled because there weren't enough people signed up. So the next best thing was this one. It's not what I wanted, but it's something, and it helps. I feel a little more prepared for the birth, which I'm still completely freaked out about. We have been to two classes so far, and have two more. The last class it talked about newer symptoms and things that happen when the baby starts to drop. For one, you can breath easier. Oh that's so nice. We also watched a few births. We talked about epidurals/spinals. We practiced breathing techniques and talked about distractions. Distractions are going to be one of the most important things to get through the contractions. And yes... through all of these classes Daniel has been there :). What a good daddy he will be. Hopefully he will be a good labor coach first though.
So the other day after I got home form the class I sat on the floor next to my mom. As I sat down, she said "you look like you've dropped!" She meant the baby of course. I immediately thought and said, "no way, it's too soon, it's just the gravity. I can still feel her in my ribs when she moves." The next day, someone else said the exact same thing... she looks like she's dropped. This kind of scared me, if she already dropping she could come early, or I'll have pelvic pain and lower back pain for weeks! The lady then asked when she was due, I said August 8th-4 weeks. She then said "she's coming in two!" I was excited but scared at the same time. Then as I was changing for bed, I looked in the mirror and the belly really did look lower. It was a strange realization that she might already be descending and getting ready for birth. I'm prepared for four weeks, I think, but two weeks... that's so soon! I do want her to come early, I want her to be a July baby, even if it's the very last minute of the last day, I want her to be born in July. But that's only a week early, and very unlikely for first time moms... but we'll see.

3 comments:

  1. Here's hoping for a negative on the Strep B. Kim was positive and had to have a penicillin drip. I can hardly believe Virginia will be here so soon! Woo hooooo! :-))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elise... this is Kathryn Chymboryk. Can I just tell you that you are the prettiest pregnant girl I know! Not to mention the fact that I feel like we were just in YW yesterday... anyway, CONGRATULATIONS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much Kat! You are so sweet. It's been a lot of fun. It really doesn't seem like that long ago we were all still in the same ward and doing YW activities!

    ReplyDelete